Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Keeping up with the Resolutions

At the start of the year I made two resolutions. The first was to lose weight and get into shape. Currently I have lost 14 pounds and am letting Jillian Michael's kick my sad saggy butt into shape at least three days a week, usually more. Two months ago I wore my sweat pants all the time because all my other clothes were too tight. Look ... having four children in five years will do that to a tummy. I'm just saying. Today, I'm wearing my sweat pants because most of my clothing is too big. And although I'm dying to go shopping, I need to wait a bit more because I'm determined to lost a bit more. We shall see. I feel like I've done well with my first resolution. I actually feel like this is my new life ... not just a resolution but something I plan to continue. I have enjoyed getting into shape and being able to run around with the kids without sucking air 30 seconds in. And I must admit, I like the looks I'm getting from Hottie. He's always given me looks and grabbed me at totally inappropriate times (which I secretly love) but lately he's been a little more grabby and the looks are lingering slightly longer. It has been nice that he's been losing weight with me ... 27 lbs so far. I just bought him a new pair of shorts, to celebrate his weight loss, and they are so big on him now he has to wear his gun inside his pants just to keep them from falling off. At least, that's what he tells me. So ... YEAH! Resolution one holding strong.

The second resolution was to read my Bible everyday. My faith is so important to me and yet it remains a struggle to make it a priority. Somehow I can manage to find time to update my Facebook status or to catch up on my favorite blogs, or even to work out, but taking the time to read my Bible seems elusive. So, at the beginning of the year I resolved to read my Bible every day ... while in the bathroom. Ok, I know, gross, ew, too much information, yadda yadda yadda. Anyone with kids out there knows that there is little to no alone time. Not even the bathroom is sacred. The other day LadyBug decided she'd rather forgo Sid the Science Kid and sit on the bathroom floor and watch me. Really? Really? Yes, really. I comforted myself with the fact that she saw me reading the Bible. A year or so ago my dear friend Laura told me, "Just grab what you can get from the Lord. Even if you have to leave a Bible on the back of the toilet at least you're getting something." She was right. I need something, even if it is just a few lines. In just over two months I have actually read my Bible nearly every day. And I have been blessed because of it.
Years ago for Christmas my parent's gave all of us a One Year Study Bible.

The One Year Bible NIV

It takes the Bible and breaks it up into 365 daily readings. It is so easy to use and it is embarrassing that it has gone neglected for so long in our home. If you want to read the entire Bible in a year, here's your tool. It isn't good, however, if you are trying to find a particular book or verse in the Bible since it is organized differently. I find that reading just the New Testament portion has been good, and if time allows (i.e, no one is bleeding or hanging from their toes) I will read the Psalm and Proverbs that are for that day as well. Most days I can find something that I've never paid attention to. I think that is so great. It feels like God has been saving something special just for me to take notice of. I have loved this time "alone" with God ... even if it is in the bathroom and my kids are on the other side of the door screaming or sitting on the floor staring at me. Either way, the Lord is blessing me.

All in all I feel pretty good about sticking to my resolutions so far. One for my body, one for my soul. Amazing how both of them impact my life.

What were your resolutions? Have you stuck to them?

4 comments:

  1. You are awesome!

    My resolution was to ignore resolutions. I forgot to make any this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminder. I love that - Just grab what you can get from the Lord. The bathroom is a great idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I FREAKIN LOVE JILLIAN!! I do her workouts 4-5 times per week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your and your hubby's weight loss! That's awesome. The Bible, I too can't seem to find enought time. It's hit or miss.

    Hey, thanks for posting my button! You're so kind :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! Let me know what you're thinking!