Monday, January 18, 2010

Matt. 10:28-29, 31

Matthew 10:28-29, 31
"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father...So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." 


This was part of what I read in my Bible a few days ago. I have read or heard this passage countless times in my life, usually in reference to how God will provide for us. Today it seemed to hit me in a different way though, probably because of all the fears I have while Officer Hottie is at work. The part that really struck me was Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. It reminded me that God does indeed have a plan and nothing happens outside of that plan. It is hard to think that God's plan includes heartache and pain. I don't understand that and I don't expect to. I just fine extreme comfort in knowing that God already knows; He's never surprised by any of it. There is even more comfort in knowing that we are "worth more than many sparrows" to Christ. Even if heartache and disaster strike, He's got a plan to take care of us.

Just over five years ago my sister and her husband lost their first child to stillbirth. What a devastating time. Losing a child at any point is unthinkable, there is so much of your future that dies. It was difficult for all of our family but one thing God showed me over and over during that time was that He is good and that He does not change based on what my circumstances are. I don't think God wants bad things to happen to those He loves, I just know that they do, and  knowing that God is aware of my hurt and knowing that I am so valued by Him brings me so much peace. I can't really explain it except to say that no matter what is going on in my life, no matter what heartache or hurt I am experiencing, God cares and values me. I find such peace in that knowledge, and I pray you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! Let me know what you're thinking!