Thursday, January 21, 2010

When I grow up ...

Do you remember why your husband became a police officer? There are many reasons people choose law enforcement as a profession; I think the big draw for Officer Hottie was the ability he would have to impact lives. I think in his ideal situation he would get to work with children, more specifically teens. His department does not currently have a school resource position, but if they did, he'd be the one to take it. He told me at the very beginning of his career that he felt like the best time to get a hold of kids was in their early teen years, before they make huge mistakes and can still make things right and turn their lives around.
I was reminded of this last night when a good friend, Kimberly, called and told me to look up Power Mentor and watch Lalo Gunther's story. She said she had recently connected with an old friend of ours via Facebook, and as the friend was filling her in on her life, told Kimberly she could watch her husband's story online. Her husband had been in a gang, in and out of jail, his last time for attempted murder. He was pursued relentlessly by a Christian police officer who ended up showing him true Love. The story is amazing; get your kleenex. First of all, what a great testimony to God and His ability to reach people no matter where they are or what they've done. Secondly, what a great testimony to the witness our husband's have in the workplace! This officer showed a kid what tough unconditional love looked like and ending up saving not only his life, but his soul. It really is such a cool story.
Lalo's story made me feel proud of OH all over again not only for what he does, but for who he is and for Who lives in him. A few years ago a friend told me that she felt like our husbands were lighthouses...shining a bright light into a very dark world. I love that word picture. I have often though of OH as a lighthouse in his work place but as I've said before, most of his colleagues are a lighthouse in their own right. After watching Lalo's story I am reminded that OH truly is a lighthouse to the entire world. The people he interacts with on a daily basis are being exposed to the Light that shines from him, whether he's talking about it or not, whether they want to be or not. And that Light has life changing effects. That Light takes murderers and makes them successful businessmen and husbands. That Light takes High School dropouts and makes them High School principals. That Light changes everything. So even if OH doesn't feel like he is impacting the world around him while he's writing speeding tickets or enforcing restraining orders, the Light he has in him is. And that, to me, is totally awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! Let me know what you're thinking!